Postdoctoral researcher experienced in quantitative social science research
The Department of Sociology and Social Research of the University of Milano-Bicocca, established in 1999 to promote the excellence in the scientific investigation of contemporary society and the study of social theory, and distinguished in 2018 for receiving by MIUR the recognition of Dipartimento di Eccellenza (2018-2023), is opening a position as postdoctoral researcher (assegnista di ricerca), within the project Ageing in a DIGITAL world. A study on multiple dimensions of inequality, in old AGE (DIGITAL-AGE), by the Principal Investigator Dr. Alessandra Gaia, part of the research group Ageing Societies.
Among the activities of the research group Ageing Societies, the DIGITAL-AGE project aims at the production of sound empirical knowledge on digital inequalities in old age and the study of how these inequalities contribute to other forms of inequalities (specifically health inequalities, inequalities in social capital and in the labour market).
The postdoctoral researcher will join the research stream 1 team to contribute to the literature review, statistical analysis of survey data from the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement In Europe (SHARE), preparation of scientific articles, dissemination activities and other research activities that may arise. They will be supervised by Dr. Alessandra Gaia and collaborate with experts in the topics of population ageing from the University of Milano-Bicocca and gerontologists and statisticians from Fondazione Golgi Cenci.
- Substantive knowledge on one of the following topics: population ageing, health, social inequalities, digital inequalities;
- ability in undertaking statistical analysis through the software STATA;
- experience in the use of complex survey datasets;
- interest on the topic of population ageing;
- knowledge of English language.
- Experience in the analysis of data from the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE);
- scientific publications on the topic of population ageing and/or inequalities;
- participation to national and/or international research groups;
- experience in the presentation of research results to national and/or international conferences;
- knowledge of Italian language.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to:
- acquire experience in the different project phases;
- enlarge their publication record as co-author of at least one scientific article addressed to an international peer-review journal;
- participate to at least one national/international conference and/or training course;
- be supported in their professional career path through a Career Development Plan prepared ad-hoc by one of the departmental professors;
- strengthen their academic visibility and network;
- collaborate in an interdisciplinary research project.
The gross amount of the research grant payable to the collaborator, net of charges to be borne by the Administration, shall be € 24.321,04 and shall be split into deferred monthly payments. The grant is exempt from IRPEF (tax on personal income) pursuant to art. 4 of Law no. 476 of August 13, 1984
The bursary has the duration of one year starting in March 2023.
The online application and submission procedure shall be completed by 09/01/2023, not later than 12.00 (Rome time).
The information on how to submit an application and the interview dates are available here. We kindly invite all applicants to read the Italian version of the call: the English version is intended for information purposes only. In case of discrepancies, the Italian version prevails.
For informal questions regarding the position before the deadline contact Dr. Alessandra Gaia, email@example.com.
We welcome applications from interested candidates regardless of their age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, marital status, disability, etc.